Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Smoggycon 2013

SimSim
edited September 2013 in General
Who is interested in going to the middlesbrough show this year? It's in November, entry fee is around £2. We might be able to car pool it.

Comments

• i can no longer go i know i said i would be intrested
  • I'll let you know as soon as my work rota is out, but I'm pretty sure I can go.
  • simalr to war torn just bigger from what i know
  • Smoggycon is a grassroots wargames show with a great selection of Northern traders and regional clubs. It gets visitors from all over the North East.

So far that's 7/8 of us including Craig who wants to come with his daughter.

We are booked in to run El Necromundo as a participation game so this is officially an SGS outreach project! The society will provide all the terrain but we need volunteers to bring their (painted) Wild West gangs. I'm requesting a 6x4 table and asking if we can be placed near our friend Barney and his Witchfinder General game.

SGS will need a minibus - Chris can you handle this? We will likely be setting off around 8am and getting back for half 5. Also can members please wear their SGS t-shirt on the day as we are representing the society.

This is a great opportunity to promote the society so we will have to get copy material printed.
  • We'll need to work on the rules too,iron out the weapon prices and such. I've got about 18 Mexicans ready to go.
  • Do you want to bring in my zombie cowboys.Unfortunately I can't help out as I am manning Barneys stall.
  • Nothing on the smoggycon website about SGS running a game, though i note that the scarborough wargames club is listed as attending.... might wanna get that looked at.

I assume this is now going to be a club funded outing and no longer a carpooling effort of folks that just want to go to a games show?

• If you can fill a minibus the club will pretty much always pay for the hire. Members will have to pay for diesel though, that's what we've done in the past. We didn't think there would be much interest initially, only a couple went last year.
  • That's ridiculous. The club can afford to waste cash on trips for selected individuals and stuff like boardgames but refuses to get the stuff it needs, what's up with that?
    Point of example - According to the treasurer the club was buying some tables, 2 months later they have yet to make an appearance - but that's OK because the prize fund for the 40k non-event was used to get Battlestar Galactica - yup makes sense.
  • 40K tournayment prize was disced on the night that it should go toward's a game for full club use and simon and the committe in genral have said they will get the table if need after the work had been done as at the moment there is no where to put them and anything else be bought such as seinore and boards are also on hold because the'ly end up be ruined
  • The website is waiting on an update. The other club mentioned will actually be Yorkshire Coast Wargamers and is incorrectly named.
    Ana's keen on driving to 'Boro so if Paul and/or Chris could carpool too we could get there much easier.
    We still need a pair of folding tables. In the mean time we should manage what with perhaps 10 members leaving for university and the use of the function room pool table. The delay in planning permission has meant building work got put back - our promised storage is still going to happen we just have to wait it out.

I wasn't able to make the 40K tournament so missed out on the prize fund discussion. Do we have enough players interested in 40K to try again?
  • i would like to do an other one and already told simon but can now do trip
  • @Liam - look at the GW's most expensive... Thread. George flat out stated that tables were being bought 'next week'. That was on the 24th of July. After the meeting where those matters were breifly addressed.It's now almost October with nothing to show.

The board game thing Shouldn't even come into it as the club really shouldn't be getting them anyway especially when the club has more important needs. More so if you factor in the apparent lack of storage....

I'll repeat what I've said since the first club meeting I attended:

All the club should be providing is a venue, tables/boards to play on and where applicable, terrain and such to fight over. Everything else is little more than the club funds being used to pay for the wants of the few.
    It's more or less the same as the club buying an Imperial Fist army because I want to play one.

That of course is just my own opinion but it does seem to be the way most well established, long running clubs are run, even non-game related clubs.

It's also moot at this point and way off topic so I'll leave it there.

Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with getting another 40k event.
  • How many boards do you need? and for what purpose i.e tournaments demo's just wanting a varied selection of boards.At the moment we have maybe 6 people a night playing tabletop wargames and have plenty of boards to go on with.
  • Right Malcom I've had enough of this. Do you have any idea of how selfish you are being. Stop being so narcissistic and trying to get everyone to bow to your opinions all of the time, you are not the being of all knowledge and I'm tired of your arrogance. The reason why no tables have been bought is because we have lost about ten members and therefore tables are not currently necessary, once we see a rise in members again more shall be bought. And as for boards, why on earth do we need another realm of battle board?! There has not been a single night for months where we have run out of boards to use, and therefore it is not a pressing matter to buy more.

As for the BSG game, we decided on the night between us people who were playing that game that we would choose something between us; BSG was chosen then, if you weren't paying attention or didn't care enough to listen then that is your problem. What is wrong with club buying board games as well, its a means of letting people branch out of something they normally do and brings those who don't usually play together, together!

The storage is not our fault and it is being updated in the near future, don't blame us for that. As for your opinion on what a club should offer, I'm afraid you're massively outnumbered as I think that most people are happy with what we offer, they don't just want to turn up to a venue and play on some crappy tables with crappy scenery. And as for the wants of the few, everything that has been bought has only been done so with enough people having interest, like this trip! Just because it isn't what you want, doesn't mean that it isn't something that other members don't want.

I have little interest in what you think of me for writing this but you really need to have a think about what you say sometimes. A lot of people put a lot of effort into this club and all you seem to do is moan alongside a few others and I for one am completely sick of it and I know for a fact that I am not the only one. Try being a little bit more conscientious for once in a while and accept that not everything is going to be done "your" way.

That is all I'm going to say on this matter, If anyone has a problem with what I've put I will happily speak to them at club face to face as I hate all this hiding behind computers.
  • @IAN mostly - No one mentioned boards, though it doesn't hurt to have extra and it's been said at the club already, the red folding board with the broken hinge and the huge sand board could quite easily be replaced - especially considering the abundance of club funds at the time it was mentioned.

@George - As a paying member I am entitled to voice my opinions and concerns, whether you or anyone else agree with them or not is also your right.
    Unlike a lot of people at the club I'm at least honest and open enough to say things up front, usually in person when time allows me to attend.

Of course I'm not all knowing, nor has that ever been claimed, how can anyone be when the club is so tight mouthed with information . When was the last club letter sent out with updates? How many people knew about member numbers? Where's the club treasury reports about expenditure so members know where their cash is going?...

As far as the BSG discussion goes(You can read my last post as to my stance on why/why not such things should be bought, there's no point in repeating it. ), if you recall I was against it but the majority rule applies. Did I bitch about it, no, why? because there was no point.
    However when the club is seemingly going out of it's way to cater to a select few BEFORE putting the majority first then there's obviously a problem with priorities.

So what if some members have been lost, doesn't mean there won't be a time when more tables will be needed and it's always better to have extra on hand than have folk queuing for half the night waiting for a table, which was the case not too long ago.
    Preparation is not just for cooking.

Who mentioned anything about blaming you for storage? Did you actually read what was written? Liam brought it up and it was implied that it made even less sense to buy unnecessary items when storage space was at a premium. If you didn't get that point it's hardly my fault but it's no way throwing the blame at anyone.

The trip is not the issue (and for the record I was looking in to going before it all turned into a grand day out), the issue is that the priorities of club spending seems to be all over the place and what is getting spent does little to benefit the club as a whole. I mean really,for EXAMPLE, how does a day trip for a very select few help the club in comparison to say, having extra equipment on hand?

Frankly I'm old enough to know that things won't always go 'my way', it's to be expected in all aspects of life, nor do i ever expect to have 'the numbers' with me - but if you think I'm going to be sheep-like and follow the crowd then your sorely mistaken.
    I've always been vocal at the club, I've always said my piece and let people think of it what they will and I certainly won't change that just because you have a problem with my questioning your authority - which is a whole different matter I'm sure your already aware of, being way more informed than lesser folk. (yes, that was intended sarcasm).

I could go on but frankly I'd be wasting my time and this isn't the place. I've spoken up on something I feel should be addressed and folk can make of it what they want.

Should you feel the need, I'll happily discuss this in person when I next manage to attend.
  • To be clear, it is unacceptable to post offensive, insulting or derogatory comments on this forum. This service is provided for honest but civil conversation. Similarly, all members are expected to keep threads on topic and not threadjack others posts.

• right getting thing's back on tarck have we dicide on what where putting in to the pot money wise for transport yet so i can work with my fund's and bit's

and secondly sim is it car pool or min bus know at the moment it's 8 am start
  • I think an apology is required from me, I was in a bad mood which was escalated by this thread and I saw red. So to Malcom I am sorry for what I wrote, It wasn't fair or justified. Hopefully we can forget about this situation and move on.
  • Smoggycon is on the 23rd November, but as usual we'll have the minibus all weekend. So we need suggestions for something to do with it on the Sunday...
    Ideally something cheap to get in to, so all we'd have to pay for is diesel.
    There's a steampunk/Victorian street fair at Haworth, but it's a good 2 hours away:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/479572585466279/?ref=22
    Any others?
  • edited November 2013
    Edan camp! Or is Eden.... Either way It's an awesome place! And has a hut for ww2 models
  • Eden camp is £6 each, or £5 if we can get 10 people.
  • As its approaching the season of credit cards it would be good to find a cost free venue to visit.

With regards to Smoggy can people interested please book in with a committee member so we dont over/under fill the minibus.